Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Favorite Quotes from the World-Wide Training on the New Church Handbook of Instructions

The following are taken from my notes and are the best recreations I am able to make - since I can't record exact quotes when I take notes:

The women in the council were engaged in the conversation. We haven't always encouraged that as we should. (Elder Holland)


International areas don't have models for how to run the Church. The CHI generally is the only "model" they have. (Elder Gonzales)


My fondest wish is that we could remove the word "meeting" from our vocabulary - as in, "We are going to a meeting." I wish we could view them as "revelatory experiences" - and that won't happen unless we strive to make them such experiences and quit viewing them just as meetings.  (Elder Bednar)

There is great power in group synergy - when WE decide we will act together. Women are just as important as men in everything we do. (Elder Ballard)


We have to decide what counts. The Savior didn't count statistics and numbers. What counted to him was caring, love, service, ministering, blessing, etc. We need to make a new beginning in the Church and count as He counts."  (Pres. Julie Beck)


The following are from Elder Packer's closing remarks - and reminded me of why I sustain him as a prophet, seer, revelator and apostle: 

This CHI is meant to provide "simplification and flexibility". "Let me underline that."

Pres. Clark once said that too much regimentation can remove revelation. We are in danger of that happening in the Church.

ALL meetings should be conducted by the Spirit. It is time for our young men and young women to prophecy and for our old men and women to dream dreams.



There is a danger of establishing the Church and not the Gospel. Planting the Gospel in our hearts MUST accompany having the Church in our lives. Busy-ness can't replace testimony.

Families are not tools to staff the Church; the Church is a tool to serve families. Don't over-burden families!

7 comments:

Dox said...

Frankly, I wish Elder Packer's remarks could be added as an appendix to the new handbooks. I think he helps puts them in perspective better than the new introductory chapters of book 2.

Simplification in programs and an increase in spiritual emphasis are sorely needed right now.

It was a good meeting and we need to make sure not to forget its lessons as we move forward with the new handbooks.

Michelle said...

Thanks for these snippets, Ray.

Hope this means you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

What Elder Bednar said was along the lines of, "If I could have the wish of my heart, it would be that the word meeting is removed..."

I thought the training and handbook are great. What I don't get, though, is why the Church doesn't post the handbook on its website. If 80% of the members' questions could be answered by understanding the handbook, why limit access? If we have to go ask the bishop questions that could be answered by checking the handbook, that adds to his load.

Anonymous said...

That last quote absolutely makes me weep.

Amy said...

I believe it has been put online. It should be here:

https://new.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church?lang=eng

Patty said...

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I laughed so hard when David told me the comment about calling meetings "revelatory experiences." In my experience they've often been anything but- usually ending up more along the lines of a bad joke. That's not to say that some good hasn't come from them, or that they weren't spiritual (at least some of the time), but my first reaction was to laugh. I guess that shows how far I still have to go... lol
I do have hope that they will move more towards that standard though. (So maybe I'm redeemable after all!)

Matthew said...

This made me cheer:

"Pres. Clark once said that too much regimentation can remove revelation. We are in danger of that happening in the Church.

ALL meetings should be conducted by the Spirit. It is time for our young men and young women to prophecy and for our old men and women to dream dreams."


And they at least have half of the handbook online. And a recognition that the church and the gospel are not identical. And a pretty clear recognition of the value of the women of the church. This is very good - I am glad to hear it. Thanks, Ray.